Register

If you already have an account with us, please use the login panel below to access your account.

Thread: Poker Tutorial

Mentioned
    468 Post(s)

Poker Tutorial

POKER
    TEXAS HOLDEM

The aim of Poker is to have the highest ranking cards among other players. The cards that you are dealt are yours only and cannot be seen by other players. The cards dealt on the table can be seen by everyone and belongs to everyone. Your goal is to figure out what kind of hand you have with your own cards as well as the cards on the table. The better the ranking, the higher your chance of winning. Here is some poker terminology:

Big Blind

The big blind is a player forced to bet a certain amount to start a round. This is to ensure that players do not AFK without betting and so that there is always some money in the pot at the start of every round. Blinds alternate every round.

Small Blind

The small blind is a player forced to bet half of what the big blind bets. This is for the same reason. Blinds alternate every round.

Raise or Bet

If you believe that you have a strong set of cards, you can raise the stakes by betting more chips into the pot. The rest of the players must bet the same amount or higher, or they may choose to fold and exit the round.

Bluff

A bluff is betting a high amount when you have weak cards. The aim of a bluff is to scare your opponents into thinking that you have a very strong set and forcing them to fold and exit the round leaving you the winner, regardless of how weak your cards are. Be careful though, sometimes doing this too much can be spotted and if your opponent calls your bet, you're in for a loss!

All-In

Whenever you have no doubts about losing, you go all in and put in all the chips you have betting everything. Be careful with this, if you lose it will be very costly!

Call

If a previous player raises (bets more), you are given the choice to either call or fold. Call means that you must match their bet to stay in the game (bet the same amount or higher).

Check

A check is basically a 'pass' in poker. You do not bet more or do anything and the play moves on to the next player. If you don't want to raise and your opponents are not raising either, you can just keep on checking until the final showdown no matter how bad your cards are. You have nothing to lose other than your initial bet.

Fold

If you feel that you do not have anything to work with and players begin to bet more money, you can simply fold and leave the round rather than losing more money.

Hand Rankings (Best - Worst)

1. Royal flush

A, K, Q, J, 10, all the same suit.

2. Straight flush

Five cards in a sequence, all in the same suit.

3. Four of a kind

All four cards of the same rank.

4. Full house

Three of a kind with a pair.

5. Flush

Any five cards of the same suit, but not in a sequence.

6. Straight

Five cards in a sequence, but not of the same suit.

7. Three of a kind

Three cards of the same rank.

8. Two pair

Two different pairs.

9. Pair

Two cards of the same rank.

10. High Card

When you haven't made any of the hands above, the highest card plays.
    In the example below, the jack plays as the highest card.

Bet responsibly!

#VEGASSTRONG

Joined Irresistible Gaming December 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwnoSeiAFSY

Diamonds Dancing, Macarena

Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    I'll keep this open temporarily if anyone has questions about it since not everyone knows how to play poker

Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibble View Post
    I'll keep this open temporarily if anyone has questions about it since not everyone knows how to play poker
    I have one (two actually) : Will we be playing against other players ? So I can get on a table with Abbott ubeR and sponyy for example ?

And, what is the minimum entry fee ? @Nibble
    "No one is hated as much as the guy that tells the truth." ~Platon

Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [SS]Rayan View Post
    I have one (two actually) : Will we be playing against other players ? So I can get on a table with Abbott ubeR and sponyy for example ?

And, what is the minimum entry fee ? @Nibble
    Yes you will be playing against other players, you can 1 v 1 as well. Other players can join mid-game but have to wait for the current round to be over.

I actually don't know the minimum entry fee, @Banging7Grams should know. But you don't technically buy chips, you just play based off the money you have on-hand.

Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibble View Post
    Yes you will be playing against other players, you can 1 v 1 as well. Other players can join mid-game but have to wait for the current round to be over.

I actually don't know the minimum entry fee, @Banging7Grams should know. But you don't technically buy chips, you just play based off the money you have on-hand.
    I see, well hopefully it's affordable for all, that way it'll be more fun

Mentioned
    809 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [SS]Rayan View Post
    I see, well hopefully it's affordable for all, that way it'll be more fun
    100,000 and up is what you can expect to join a table, but you can click exit and get your money back (unless you lose some while playing/bb/sb fee when its your turn).

I recommend you youtube poker, as it will be the same thing but with online players at a table.

Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banging7Grams View Post
    100,000 and up is what you can expect to join a table, but you can click exit and get your money back (unless you lose some while playing/bb/sb fee when its your turn).

I recommend you youtube poker, as it will be the same thing but with online players at a table.
    I've already played the famous mobile Zynga Poker game, and I got the hang of it Thanks for the answer !